2017/2018 CRĀSI SEED GRANT PROGRAM
Competing for large-scale, center-level grants (e.g., MRSEC, EFRC, etc.) requires a compelling research program, a cohesive multidisciplinary team, and well-crafted proposals. To this end, this year’s CRĀSI seed grant program seeks to provide two multi-investigator teams with the financial resources needed to enhance their competitiveness for center-level grants. Successful PIs will develop an initial idea into a viable research plan, build the necessary team, and compile a detailed, 5-page white paper that can be utilized in future, center-level funding competitions. Research themes must be broadly within the scope of CRĀSI; that is, they should be related to and include fundamental scientific questions pertaining to surfaces and interfaces. Proposals should be submitted electronically to Sharon Lawrence (email@example.com) by September 15, 2017.
- Proposals must contain a two-page description of the anticipated research, possible team members (both internally and externally), and targeted center-level proposal call(s).
- A separate cover page should indicate the seed proposal title and names and affiliations of the initial team of investigators.
- The initial team should not exceed 3 members and must consist of at least two CRĀSI PIs; however, it is expected that the team will be expanded as necessary over the course of the seed project.
- A one-page budget, not to exceed $15,000, should also be provided. Funds may be used to support PI meetings, travel, proposal preparation (including graphic design), and, in well-justified circumstances, student salary and materials and supplies. Travel to visit program managers and/or external collaborators is encouraged.
- Final white papers must be submitted to Sharon Lawrence by May 30, 2018. In addition, a presentation summarizing efforts to date and next steps will be given in the summer of 2018.
Two CRĀSI seed grants will be announced by October 15, 2017. Funds must be expended by June 30, 2018.